Applies to: Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Family
In this article, you’ll learn how to transfer data from one microSD card to another for use on Nintendo Switch.
Important: This process may not be able to copy the microSD card contents correctly in environments other than Windows (such as Mac).
- Software downloaded to a microSD card on one system will not be playable on a different system.
- Do not swap data between multiple microSD cards, or swap your microSD card between multiple systems. Use a single microSD card with one system and be sure to follow the steps below if transferring content to a new microSD card.
- Do not overwrite data by recopying to the same microSD card.
- Always copy the entire folder, and never alter or erase the files it contains.
Complete these steps
Before you get started, you’ll need the following items:
- Two compatible microSD cards.
- An SD card slot on a PC or a commercially available microSD card reader/writer.
- If your PC does not have a microSD card slot you will need a card adapter.
MicroSD Card save data transferring to another MicroSD Card through a computer
- Remove the original microSD card from the Nintendo Switch console.
- Insert the microSD card with the Nintendo Switch data into the microSD card reader/writer.
- Open Windows Explorer (for PC) and access the microSD card.
- Highlight the data and drag it to the desktop.
- If you are moving your content to a new microSD card, be sure to first format the new card per our recommendations.
- Do not delete, format, or alter the content from the original microSD card until you have verified the new microSD card is working correctly.
- Once the new card has been formatted, continue with the instructions below.
- Eject the first microSD card, then insert the second microSD card into the slot or reader/writer.
- Using Windows Explorer access the microSD card again.
- Drag the data from the desktop to the new microSD card, then insert the new microSD card into the Nintendo Switch console.
- Any software that cannot be read on the system using the new microSD card can simply be redownloaded from the Nintendo eShop.
Source: Official Nintendo support page