Niantic recently announced that a new Mega Evolution feature is coming soon to Pokémon GO. Players of the immensely-popular mobile game will be able to Mega Evolve their existing Pokémon when the Mega Evolution feature gets added to Pokémon GO later this year. Niantic also recently shared a new image featuring three Mega Stones alongside the Pokémon GO logo. In addition, Niantic is sharing news with several outlets, revealing tidbits and exciting announcements for fans to look forward to. The following info comes from the folks at Eurogamer:
- Pokémon Go gets its first Mega Pokémon this week.
- Mega Evolution in Pokémon Go is a temporary effect.
- Mega Pokémon require Mega Energy to evolve and will remain in their Mega form as long as they have enough Mega Energy to continue to do so.
- While a Pokémon is Mega Evolved, its Mega Energy will deplete over time. (Only one of your Pokémon can be Mega Evolved at any particular time.) After Mega Evolving a particular creature once, it will then be cheaper to Mega Evolve in future.
- You can receive more Mega Energy for a particular species by battling that creature in Mega Raids – a new tier of raid battle set to launch alongside Mega Evolution. The faster you complete these raids, the more Mega Energy you will receive – encouraging you to battle with as many players as possible. (It’s unclear if other methods of obtaining Mega Energy will be available.)
- Mega Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise will launch this week and be available to battle in raids. Mega Beedrill will also make its debut this week, with Mega Energy available via a new questline from Professor Willow.
- Mega Pokémon will boost the attack power of all other Pokémon when battling in raids. Pokémon with the same type as the Mega Evolved Pokémon will receive an even greater attack boost.