The new Mega Evolution feature is now available in Pokémon GO. Players of the immensely-popular mobile game can now Mega Evolve their existing Pokémon. As of this morning, the ability to Mega Evolve Pokémon and the Mega Pokédex are now live. However, Mega Raids and Mega Evolution Special Research haven’t started yet. Read on below to learn more:
- Mega Evolution in Pokémon Go is a temporary effect.
- Mega Pokémon require Mega Energy to evolve and will remain in their Mega form as long as they have enough Mega Energy to continue to do so.
- While a Pokémon is Mega Evolved, its Mega Energy will deplete over time. (Only one of your Pokémon can be Mega Evolved at any particular time.) After Mega Evolving a particular creature once, it will then be cheaper to Mega Evolve in future.
- You can receive more Mega Energy for a particular species by battling that creature in Mega Raids – a new tier of raid battle set to launch alongside Mega Evolution. The faster you complete these raids, the more Mega Energy you will receive – encouraging you to battle with as many players as possible.
- Mega Venusaur, Charizar, Blastoise and Beedrill are among the first Mega Pokémon in Pokémon GO
- Mega Energy is available via a new questline from Professor Willow.
- Mega Pokémon will boost the attack power of all other Pokémon when battling in raids. Pokémon with the same type as the Mega Evolved Pokémon will receive an even greater attack boost.
- Mega Pokémon can be set as your buddy, though like Legendary creatures cannot be left to defend gyms. They can be used in battles against your friends but are (for now) not usable in the competitive Go Battle League.
- Shadow and Clone Pokémon cannot be Mega Evolved.
- A new Mega Pokémon section of the game’s Pokédex is now live, letting you track each species.
- September will be filled with Mega Evolution-themed events, further details of which will be announced closer to the time. September 1st to 7th will involve battling in Mega Raids, while 11th to 17th September will task you to compete in gym, trainer and Team Rocket battles. Lastly, 22nd to 28th September will feature buddy tasks.