The Sun & Moon series and the new Pokemon-GX will be introduced to the Pokemon Trading Card Game (TCG) in early 2017. The term GX describes special attacks and special Pokemon that are brand-new to the Pokemon TCG. Read on below for official details on GX Attacks and Pokemon-GX:
- Each Pokémon-GX has a devastating GX attack that can instantly reverse a player’s disadvantage or create an early-game advantage. A player can’t use more than one GX attack in a game, so deciding which GX attack to use and when poses a strategic challenge.
- In Pokémon TCG: Sun & Moon, Pokémon-GX will make their first appearance. There are four defining characteristics of Pokémon-GX.
- Only Pokémon-GX have GX attacks which can be used once per game.
- Each Pokémon-GX has a maximum of two attacks in addition to its GX attack. Pokémon-GX have ordinary attacks and Abilities besides their GX attack. It’s possible to use different attacks as the situation demands.
- Pokémon-GX have strong attacks and high HP, so they can overwhelm their opponent’s Pokémon without needing to rely on the GX attack.
- This extra power comes with a price. When a Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, the opponent takes two Prize cards, so players need to strategically decide when to use them.
- The Legendary Pokémon Solgaleo and Lunala, who appear on the covers of the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon video games, will be featured in the Sun & Moon expansion as Pokémon-GX.
- The Sol Burst-GX attack allows a player to attach up to 5 Energy cards from their deck to their Pokémon in any way they like, making it a powerful attack that’s useful for super Energy acceleration.
- The Lunar Fall-GX attack lets a player immediately Knock Out any of their opponent’s Basic Pokémon.