The Pokémon World Championships have always been the home of the most exciting, highest-stakes Pokémon battles, and this year Pokémon GO joins the fray with a special competition. Trainer Battles will be on display in the Pokémon GO Invitational on Friday, August 16, immediately following the opening ceremonies. You’ll be able to watch all the battles in the first officially streamed Pokémon GO Trainer Battle event live at Twitch.tv/Pokemon.
Eight competitors will be battling for Pokémon GO glory, and you’re sure to recognize them! Seven of the participants will be distinguished Pokémon Trainers, with Pokémon VIPs and content creators making up most of the field.
You could be in luck if you’re hoping to join the competition. If you’re planning to attend the 2019 Pokémon World Championships and have already secured a spectator pass, you can apply to be the final player in the event! No applications will be accepted after 5:00 p.m. PDT on July 31, 2019, so make sure to apply now if you’re interested. Other exclusions apply. Click here for details.
- Players will compete in a double-elimination tournament
- Each match will be best-of-five
- Battles will take place in the Great League with some additional restrictions
- → Competitors must select a team of six Pokémon they’ll choose between for the entire tournament
- → None of the six Pokémon may be of the same species
List of players
- Junichi Masuda (Director, Game Freak)
- Shigeki Morimoto (Game Designer, Game Freak)
- Poké AK
- One lucky fan!
- Aaron “Cybertron” Zheng
- Trainer Tips