Mega Changes to Mega Evolution in Pokémon GO
Learn about changes to Mega Energy requirements in Pokémon GO, and what Mega Evolution changes will soon take effect.
Since Pokémon GO launched the Mega Evolution feature in late August, Trainers have had the opportunity to collect Mega Energy by battling in Mega Raids. The ultimate goal, of course, is to give yourself an edge in Raids by Mega Evolving select Pokémon. However, certain aspects of Mega Evolution required some fine-tuning, so we’ve implemented a few changes to the process.
To begin with, Pokémon that have previously Mega Evolved now require less Mega Energy for subsequent Mega Evolutions. We’ve also increased the amount of Mega Energy that Trainers receive for successfully completing a Mega Raid. These changes should make it easier to continue Mega Evolving your Pokémon.
We’ll be implementing additional changes soon, including new ways to earn Mega Energy outside of Raids. Soon, you’ll be able to earn Mega Energy by walking with your buddy and by performing research tasks. Trainers will also receive bonus Candy when catching a Pokémon that is the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon. In the meantime, keep earning that Mega Energy, keep Mega Evolving, and keep on being the best Pokémon Trainer you can be.
Mega Venusaur leaves Mega Raids on October 23. Plus, take a sneak peek at some Mega Evolution updates.
On Friday, October 23, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), Mega Gengar will be available to battle in Mega Raids, and Mega Venusaur will be leaving Mega Raids. Until then, Mega Venusaur will be appearing more frequently in Mega Raids, so be sure to make the most of this time! Here are some other ways you’ll be able to earn Venusaur Mega Energy.
- You’ll be able to earn Venusaur Mega Energy by completing select Field Research tasks.
- An upcoming event in November will feature Timed Research that rewards Venusaur Mega Energy.
We’ll provide other ways for you to earn Venusaur Mega Energy in the future, so stay tuned for updates.
In early November, there will be updates to the Mega Evolution feature. You’ll be able to do the following.
- Earn Mega Energy by walking with your Buddy Pokémon if you have previously Mega Evolved a Pokémon in your Buddy Pokémon’s Evolutionary line.
- Earn additional Candies when you have an active Mega-Evolved Pokémon and you catch a Pokémon that shares a type with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon. You will also earn additional Candies when catching a Raid Boss, regardless of its type.
- See Trainers on your friend list who currently have a Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
Good luck in your raids, Trainers!
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team
Source: Official Pokémon GO blog