The Pokémon Company has revealed its latest brand sheet to share publicly. Read on below to learn more:
Over 480 million units of Pokémon-related software has been sold and over 52.9 billion Pokémon TCG cards have been produced as of March 2023.
Pokémon is one of the most popular and successful entertainment franchises in the world, encompassing video games, mobile apps, the Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG), animation and movies, Play! Pokémon competitive events, and licensed products. It was first established in Japan in 1996 with the launch of the Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green video games for the Game Boy™ system. The video games were released internationally in 1998 as Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue.
- More than 440 million units of Pokémon-related software have sold worldwide, making Pokémon one of the most successful gaming franchises of all time.1
- The mobile game sensation Pokémon GO has received more than one billion downloads globally since launching in July 2016.2
- The Pokémon TCG is one of the most popular trading card games in the world and has been shipped to 77 countries and regions in 13 languages. 3
- The first live-action Pokémon film, “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu,” generated more than $430 million in global box office revenue.
- The Pokémon animated television series features more than 1,000 episodes spanning 25 seasons, and there are 23 animated Pokémon movies to date. Pokémon animation is licensed for broadcast and streaming in 177 countries and regions in over 30 languages.
- Pokémon global retail sales totaled $8.5 billion in 2021. 4
VIDEO GAMES (NINTENDO SWITCH)
▪ Released on November 18, 2022, Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet are the latest titles in the Pokémon core RPG series, featuring a new region to explore, new Pokémon to discover, and new ways for fans to play. Sales exceeded 10 million units worldwide during launch weekend, making these games the fastest-selling Nintendo Switch titles up to that time and making this launch the highest-grossing launch of any Pokémon game.5
▪ Players can look forward to delving even deeper into the world of Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet with The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero. This DLC includes two new adventures—Part 1: The Teal Mask is slated for release in fall 2023, and Part 2: The Indigo Disk is planned to be released in winter 2023.
▪ Released on January 28, 2022, Pokémon Legends: Arceus introduces fans to the Sinnoh region of old in an all-new experience.
▪ Released on November 19, 2021, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl celebrate the Sinnoh region and are faithful remakes of Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl.
▪ Released in April 2021, New Pokémon Snap invites fans to explore the diverse ecosystems of the Lental region on an adventure packed to the brim with Pokémon waiting to be discovered.
▪ Released in November 2019, Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield introduced the Galar region to players across the world. With more than 24 million units sold since launch, these games are the fifth-best-selling Nintendo Switch titles to date.6 In 2020, the Pokémon Sword Expansion Pass and Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass introduced The Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra—two separate adventures that enable fans to encounter new Pokémon, meet new characters, and explore new areas in the Galar region.
MOBILE APPS (iOS, ANDROID)
▪ Pokémon offers a wide breadth of gaming and entertainment experiences on mobile devices, with 15 apps available around the world that cater to Trainers of all types, ages, and interests. ▪ Pokémon UNITE is Pokémon’s first strategic team battle game, developed in partnership between The Pokémon Company (TPC) and Tencent Games’ TiMi Studios. Players face off against each other in five-on-five team battles, where they cooperate with teammates to defeat wild Pokémon and level up and evolve their own Pokémon to defeat their opponents’ team. ▪ Pokémon GO is a popular mobile game collaboration between The Pokémon Company (TPC), Nintendo and Niantic that encourages fans to discover and catch Pokémon in the real world. ▪ Pokémon Sleep aims to offer a fun and enriching experience to Trainers by having a player’s time spent sleeping—and the time they wake up—affect the gameplay. Pokémon Sleep is slated to launch in summer 2023 for iOS and Android devices. ▪ Pokémon Masters EX is a strategy and battling game in which players form teams of Trainers and their partner Pokémon to engage in 3-on-3, real-time battles. The game is developed by DeNA under supervision from TPC. ▪ Pokémon HOME enables Trainers to manage their collection of Pokémon from across many of their games, trade Pokémon with other players, and more. ▪ Pokémon Café ReMix gives players the opportunity to own a café with help from Pokémon, preparing drinks and dishes for Pokémon customers by completing puzzles.
POKÉMON TRADING CARD GAME
▪ The latest Pokémon TCG expansion, Crown Zenith, was released on January 20, 2023. This expansion introduces a multitude of new art styles and unique illustrations, with an emphasis on alternate art cards, including the first-ever Pokémon VSTAR with special art. ▪ Based on the Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet video games, the next Pokémon TCG expansion, Scarlet & Violet, launching on March 31, 2023, will introduce an updated take on the Pokémon ex gameplay mechanic, featuring Pokémon with high HP plus powerful attacks and Abilities, as well as Tera Pokémon ex, featuring unique etched artwork that spotlights their Tera Types. ▪ In July 2020, The Pokémon Company International (TPCi) launched the Pokémon TCG Battle Academy, the first-ever board game adaptation of the Pokémon TCG. Battle Academy was recognized by Good Housekeeping as a 2021 Best Toy Awards winner and was awarded Game of the Year at the 2021 Toy of the Year Awards. In 2022, the game was updated to support gameplay mechanics featured in the Sword & Shield Series. ▪ In November 2022, The Pokémon Company International released the global beta for Pokémon TCG Live, a new app that allows Trainers to enjoy the Pokémon TCG in an updated digital format. The free-to-play game also marks the first time the Pokémon TCG will be playable on smartphones, in addition to tablets, PCs, and Macs.
▪ In partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Entertainment, TPC released the first-ever live-action Pokémon film, “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu,” which premiered in theaters worldwide starting in May 2019. Based on a new character and story in the Pokémon universe, and featuring an all-star cast including Ryan Reynolds, the movie garnered widespread, mainstream buzz. ▪ The movie is now available via digital retailers and on DVD and Blu-ray and ranked second on NPD’s top-selling DVD and Blu-ray discs in August 2019.7
ANIMATED SERIES AND MOVIES
▪ In February 2023, The Pokémon Company group, in partnership with Netflix, unveiled “Pokémon Concierge,” a Netflix series that expands the Pokémon world with a new storyline and innovative stop-motion animation. Developed in collaboration with dwarf studios, “Pokémon Concierge” will be set at the Pokémon Resort and follows the story of a concierge named Haru and the many Pokémon that visit as guests. ▪ In 2022, the 25th season of the iconic Pokémon animated series, “Pokémon Ultimate Journeys: The Series,” began premiering in select markets. Available exclusively on Netflix in the US, “Pokémon Ultimate Journeys: The Series” will feature some of the final moments of Ash and Pikachu’s journey, including Ash achieving his 25- season goal of becoming the world’s top Trainer. ▪ “Pokémon: The Arceus Chronicles” is an animated special inspired by the popular Pokémon Legends: Arceus video game. It is globally available exclusively on Netflix, excluding Asia. ▪ The latest animated Pokémon film, “Pokémon the Movie: Secrets of the Jungle,” tells the story of Koko, a young boy raised by Pokémon, and the creation of a new bond between humans and Pokémon. The movie premiered on Netflix around the world outside of Japan, Korea, and China on Oct. 8, 2021. ▪ The Pokémon TV app has Pokémon video content for all ages. The service enables fans to watch select full seasons of “Pokémon the Series,” animated specials, preschool-focused videos, as well as a monthly animated 7 The NPD Group, August 2019 movie. With an intuitive user interface and features that make it easy to enjoy content, Pokémon TV is available at no charge on iOS and Android, Pokemon.com, Nintendo Switch, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and select smart TVs. ▪ Pokémon animation is also available on a variety of video-on-demand platforms around the world, including Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. It can be purchased or rented digitally on iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play, among other digital platforms, and is available on DVD and Blu-ray in various markets. Pokémon subscription channels on Amazon Prime Video, available in the US and the UK, feature a large volume of animated content.
▪ In 2022, The Pokémon Company collaborated with music superstar Ed Sheeran on a new song, “Celestial,” which was featured in the video games Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet. The “Celestial” video is inspired by Ed’s childhood fascination with the franchise and features some of his favorite Pokémon. It follows a typical day in Ed’s life with a Pokémon twist and was directed by the award-winning Yuichi Kodama. ▪ In 2021, The Pokémon Company International commemorated 25 years of the Pokémon brand with special anniversary celebrations throughout the year. Leading the celebration was P25 Music, a collaboration between Pokémon and Universal Music Group featuring some of the biggest names in music from rising artists to awardwinning global superstars including Katy Perry, Post Malone, and J Balvin. The star-studded program accompanied fan-focused activations across the franchise’s portfolio of video games, mobile apps, animation, merchandise, and more.
▪ Pokémon Center is the premier destination for official Pokémon merchandise in the US, UK, and Canada, offering high-quality products that are unique to the site, such as figures, imported plush, clothing, accessories, home décor, books, and more. Pokémon Center also features exclusive Pokémon TCG products. ▪ The ecommerce site also features special collaborations with notable brands, such as PUMA, Fossil, Squishmallows, The Wand Company, OMOCAT, RockLove, Craft Sportswear, Kotobukiya, Good Smile Company, Bear Walker, Vic Lee, First 4 Figures, Outdoor Research, and more.
▪ With robust licensing programs covering gaming, toys, apparel and accessories, designer collaborations, tech gear, home décor, and more, TPCi gives broad global audiences more ways to engage with the Pokémon brand. ▪ Key licensees include Jazwares (master toy licensee for TPCi), Funko, Hanna Andersson, Mattel, PowerA, and Ravensburger, which include figures, plush, roleplay items, clothing and accessories, puzzles, and more as part of their growing lineup of official Pokémon merchandise. ▪ TPCi has collaborated with fashion designers and brands like MARKET, The Hundreds, Billionaire Boys Club, Longchamp, Balmain, Dolly Noire, and Maison Labiche—plus fashion retailers, such as BlackMilk, celio, H&M, Primark, and Zara—to release apparel and accessories available worldwide. ▪ As part of Pokémon’s 25th anniversary celebrations, in 2021 the brand collaborated with long-time and new partners including OREO, Krispy Kreme, Converse, Levi’s, McDonald’s, General Mills, Build-A-Bear Workshop™, and more on special merchandise collections, and promotional moments. ▪ Stemming from the strength of the Pokémon brand and strong momentum during the anniversary, TPCi is continuing to expand its award-winning licensing programs with partnerships and products that appeal to fans across generations. Game of the Year 2022 Toy of the Year Awards Overall Licensed Property of the Year 2022 Australian Toy Association Awards Global Top Toy Property of the Year + Europe’s Top Gaining Property Total Toys Nuremberg Toy Fair 2022 Best Gaming Licensed Property + Best Licensed Retail Marketing Initiative 2022 UK Licensing Awards Licensor of the Year 2021 Licensing Awards France
▪ Play! Pokémon events provide opportunities for Pokémon fans to enjoy their favorite games together—from casual Pokémon League gatherings to competitive events that make up the Pokémon TCG and Video Game Championship Series. ▪ The 2023 Pokémon World Championships will take place August 11–13, 2023, in Yokohama, Japan, welcoming players from across the globe to compete in the Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet video games, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, Pokémon UNITE, and Pokémon GO for the title of World Champion.
▪ Pokemon.com has been localized with content tailored for 14 markets, including the US (pokemon.com), the UK and Ireland (pokemon.co.uk), France (pokemon.fr), Italy (pokemon.it), Germany (pokemon.de), Spain (pokemon.es), Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Latin America (pokemon.com/LATAM), and Brazil (pokemon.com/br). ▪ The official Pokémon social channels have more than 7 million followers on Facebook (facebook.com/pokemon), more than 5 million subscribers on YouTube (youtube.com/pokemon), more than 7 million followers on Twitter (twitter.com/pokemon), and more than 4 million followers on Instagram (instagram.com/pokemon).
To view and download the latest Pokémon Brand Sheet, click here.
Source: The Pokémon Company International
One thought on “The Pokémon Company reveals that over 480 million units of Pokémon-related software has been sold and over 52.9 billion Pokémon TCG cards have been produced as of March 2023”