Niantic is making two key shifts to the game balance in Pokémon GO. The developer will be making some changes to Pokémon effectiveness in battle. Most notably, CP values will be adjusted to improve in-game balance. The rollout will begin today, November 14, at 1 p.m. PST. According to Niantic, the following changes are based on Trainer feedback and are designed to promote an improved overall experience:
Changes to Pokémon Migration and Behavior
As you explore the world of Pokémon GO, the following changes will affect the Pokémon that appear around you:
- We are making adjustments to weather and, moving forward, it will have a reduced effect on the rate at which Pokémon appear.
- As you explore a given area, you will notice that a greater variety of Pokémon species will appear over time and at different rates.
- Certain areas, such as parks and nature reserves, will now contain more varied Pokémon species.
Changes to Pokémon Effectiveness in Battle
We also wanted to use this opportunity to rebalance in-game battle mechanics. You may notice some of the following changes in the coming weeks:
- CP values will be adjusted going forward to improve game balance.
- HP values will be adjusted to close the gap between high HP Pokémon and low HP Pokémon.
- Pokémon Defense and Stamina values will be retroactively rebalanced, allowing highly defensive Pokémon to be valuable in battle by outlasting opponents rather than simply running out the clock.
- Defense values have also been slightly retroactively reduced for most Pokémon. Changes like these will help narrow the gap between Pokémon with the highest defensive stats and other Pokémon.
Moving forward, you can expect to see further tweaks designed to help Trainers and their Pokémon reach their full potential. We’re looking forward to experiencing these changes with you as we explore the world together! Let’s get out there and GO!
—Liz George, Pokémon GO Global Community Manager