How to Update Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield
Applies to: Nintendo Switch Lite, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Family
- This update must be applied in order to use the game’s Internet features.
- Save data will still be available for use after downloading the update.
- If the system is connected to the Internet, the update will download and install automatically.
Complete these steps
- Connect the Nintendo Switch console to the Internet.
- Return to the HOME Menu and launch the game.
- The update will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Once the update is installed, the newest version number will be displayed on the title screen.
- Part 1, The Isle of Armor, has been released as downloadable content
- Customers who have purchased an Expansion Pass can now enjoy adventures on the Isle of Armor.
- You can learn more about the Isle of Armor here: https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/expansionpass/the-isle-of-armor/
- Additional Pokémon now appear
- Even without purchasing an Expansion Pass, customers can use network connections to play and have additional Pokémon appear.
- Link Codes are now 8-digits long
- Link Codes used in the Y-Comm or set for Max Raid Battles are now 8 digits instead of 4.
- Battle regulation marks
- Pokémon carried over from other regions via Pokémon HOME can now participate in online competitions and ranked battles. A battle regulation mark can be replaced on the Pokémon at the Battle Tower in order to participate in online competitions and ranked battles.
- Please check game news for more information.
- Addressed issue with online battles
- We’ve fixed an issue with online battles where the battle results could be arbitrarily invalidated.
- Additional updated content
- In addition, various issues were addressed to create a more enjoyable gaming experience.
Source: Nintendo Support