How to Update Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Applies to: Nintendo Switch Family, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite
In this article, you’ll learn how to update Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo Switch.
On December 17, 2020 a new software update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate became available for download. Please take a moment to download and install this update while your Nintendo Switch console is connected to the Internet.
- This update must be applied in order to use the game’s Internet features.
- A Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to use the game’s online features.
- All players must be using the same version of the software to participate in Local Wireless Battles.
- Replay data from previous versions is not compatible with the newest version. Be sure to convert your replays by going to Vault in the main menu and selecting Convert to Video before updating the software.
- Save data will still be available for use after downloading the update.
- If the system is connected to the Internet, the update will download and install automatically.
Complete these steps
- Connect the Nintendo Switch console to the Internet.
- Return to the HOME Menu and launch the game.
- The update will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Once the update is installed, the newest version number will be displayed on the title screen.
If you see “Ver. 10.0.0” in the top right of the title screen, then you’re already up to date. Click the version number below for information about the update. Each update also includes all previous updates. For information about older updates, read the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Update History.
- Ver. 10.0.0 (Released December 17, 2020)
- Ver. 9.0.2 (Released November 11, 2020)
- Ver. 9.0.1 (Released October 21, 2020)
- Ver. 9.0.0 (Released October 13, 2020)
- Ver. 8.1.0 (Released August 4, 2020)
- Ver. 8.0.0 (Released June 29, 2020)
- Ver. 7.0.0 (Released January 28, 2020)
Ver. 10.0.0 (Released December 17, 2020)
- The Sephiroth Challenge mode event has been added for a limited time.
- You can attempt this mode if you’ve purchased the Sephiroth Challenger Pack or the Fighters Pass Vol. 2. Defeating Sephiroth will unlock him as a playable fighter and grant access to his stage.
- This mode will appear on the upper left of the main menu. Press the + Button to take on the challenge.
- Once the event period is over, the mode will become unavailable, but Sephiroth and his stage will be unlocked immediately for anyone who has purchased the Sephiroth Challenger Pack or the Fighters Pass Vol. 2.
- Several issues have been fixed to improve gameplay experience.
Note that you cannot make videos of replays that contain DLC you have not purchased (fighters, stages, music, Mii Fighter costumes, etc.).
Source: Nintendo Support