Catching Pokémon in AR+ mode. Bring Pokémon GO to the real world like never before.
AR+ mode is an enhanced version of Pokémon GO’s augmented reality feature in which Pokémon appear anchored to your real-world environment right in front of you. You can walk right up to a Pokémon for a chance at an Excellent Throw bonus or the perfect photo opportunity. Pokémon are aware of your movement, so proceed with caution. Move toward a Pokémon too fast and you’ll scare it away…but approach slowly, and you’ll have a better chance at catching it.
- iOS: AR+ mode is only available for iPhone 6s and newer models running on iOS 11+.
- Android: AR+ mode is only available to devices running Android 7.0+ and can support ARCore. Supported devices must install ARCore from the Google Play Store. A list of supported devices can be found here.
AR+ mode and AR mode
AR+ mode displays Pokémon fixed to a point in your real-world environment. Pokémon appear on the ground in front of you. You can walk toward or around the Pokémon.
Pokémon have awareness of how close you are and how fast you are moving toward them.
Pokémon are not fixed to your real-world environment in AR mode.
Pokémon do not have awareness of the Trainer’s location or movement.
Catching Pokémon using AR+ mode
Check your area
You’ll need to move around to capture a Pokémon in AR+ mode. Before you begin, make sure you are in a location where you can safely move around.
Enable AR+ Mode
To get started, you need to enable AR+ mode. The first time you encounter a Pokémon on a device that supports AR+ mode, you’ll be prompted to enable AR+ mode. If you have dismissed the prompt, you can always choose to enable AR+ mode in the settings menu.
To return to AR mode, visit the settings menu and uncheck the AR+ setting option.
Locate your environment
Before Pokémon can appear in AR+ mode, your device needs to detect your surroundings. Use your camera to slowly look around your surroundings, being sure to include a flat surface (like the ground or a tabletop). Tall grass will appear once your device has detected your environment.
Find the Pokémon
Pokémon hide within the tall grass. Touch on the tall grass to find the Pokémon hiding within.
Pokémon are easily startled, so you want to approach slowly and avoid sudden movements. Your goal is to get close to the Pokémon while keeping their awareness meter low.
When the Pokémon’s awareness meter fills up, the Pokémon will flee or retreat into the tall grass. If you are able to successfully catch the Pokémon without raising its awareness, you’ll be rewarded with an Expert Handler Bonus of extra Stardust and XP.
To help lower the Pokémon’s awareness, try giving it a Nanab Berry.
Throw the Poké Ball
Like any encounter with a wild Pokémon, throw the Poké Ball toward the Pokémon. If you are successful, the Poké Ball will capture the Pokémon.
Tips for AR+ mode
- When it’s too dark, the camera may not see all the details. Move to a well-lit area if Pokémon GO has trouble detecting your real-world environment.
- Point your device at an area with an open flat surface. Avoid areas with obstructions or uneven surfaces.
- When detecting your environment, slowly move your camera across your surroundings. Avoid fast or shaky movements.
- For the best AR+ mode experience, we recommend that Trainers on iOS 11.0.1 update to iOS 11.0.2 or newer.
Source: Official Pokémon GO support page
2 thoughts on “How to catch Pokémon in Pokémon GO AR+ mode on iOS and Android”