Nintendo has unveiled the following information, in regard to how to deactivate a Nintendo Switch console:
How to Deactivate a Nintendo Switch Console
- You can deactivate a primary Nintendo Switch console through the settings on the console itself.
- If you don’t have access to the primary console, you can deactivate a console from your Nintendo Account remotely; however, this can only be done once per year.
- If neither of these options are available to you, please contact us for additional assistance.
- Deactivating one console will allow you to select a different console as the primary console for your Nintendo Account. Each Nintendo Account can have one primary Nintendo Switch console at a time.
- This feature is available for Nintendo Accounts set to U.S. and Canada, and countries with a limited version of Nintendo eShop
Complete These Steps:
Is the primary Nintendo Switch console available?
- Select “Nintendo eShop” on the HOME Menu to launch the Nintendo eShop.
- Select the Nintendo Account you want to deactivate on the console.
- Select the picture of your icon in the upper-right corner to access your Account Information.
- Scroll down to the “Primary Console” status.
- Select “Deregister” twice to confirm. If your account is set to require a password, you will also need to enter your Nintendo Account password to confirm.
- Repeat these steps for any additional Nintendo Accounts that you wish to deactivate from this console.
- The next time you connect to the Nintendo Switch eShop, the console you use to connect will automatically be set as your primary console.
- Using a web browser, visit accounts.nintendo.com.
- Sign in to the Nintendo Account you wish to deactivate.
- Select “Shop Menu.”
- Select “Deregister Primary Console.”
- Enter your Nintendo Account password.
- Select “Deregister” twice to confirm.
- The next time you connect to the Nintendo eShop from a Nintendo Switch console, the console you use to connect will automatically be set as your primary console.
Source: Nintendo Support