The Community Ambassador Program
I’m Kelsey (they/them), a lifelong Pokémon fan who now gets to work on my favorite thing: helping communities connect and play together. Today I’m excited to share a new way you can support your local Pokémon GO community. We’re introducing the Community Ambassador Program—a way for trusted organizers running in-person events to apply for perks that will benefit their communities.
I know firsthand how important local community leaders are and how much of their impact is born from passion and hard work. One of the first things I wanted to do when I joined Niantic was find a way to recognize, uplift, and support what our community leaders do for their local Trainers. In conjunction with our sponsored partners at the Silph Road, I’m excited to introduce you to the Community Ambassador Program.
This program will start taking applications from eligible communities in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand on July 28, 2022.
Read on to learn more about the program, how to apply, and what you can expect to earn for your community!
What is the Community Ambassador Program?
The Community Ambassador Program supports local, in-person Pokemon GO communities around the globe by empowering their experiences. Community Ambassadors can receive special perks for their communities, like item codes for giveaways, access to Niantic representatives for special feedback sessions, and other opportunities to support their community’s growth.
Individuals who run in-person events in their area, grow their communities, and create and connect safe spaces for Trainers to play can apply to become one of Niantic’s Community Ambassadors.
What does a Community Ambassador do?
A Community Ambassador is someone who voluntarily runs events in their local community with the gratitude and assistance of Niantic. Niantic recognizes how much passion and hard work it takes to bring people together, and this program is built to help leaders do just that.
What does Niantic look for in a Community Ambassador?
- Diversity. Pokémon GO Trainers include people of many nationalities, identities, and ethnicities. We want to ensure that our Community Ambassadors do, too.
- Professionalism and quality of character. Being a Community Ambassador means that you’ve been recognized by Niantic. Our Community Ambassadors should always treat others with respect, honesty, and kindness.
- Positivity. We know that communities grow in the image of their leadership, and the best communities are built by creating and highlighting the positive instead of focusing on the negative. Opportunities for critical feedback should be treated with respect—never with cruelty or anger.
- Safety. Community Ambassadors should strive to ensure that both their communities and the spaces they play in are secure. All communities are required to have digital presences that are family-friendly, publicly open to members over 13 years of age, and include common sense rules that facilitate safe spaces and practices. When gathering to play, Community Ambassadors should ensure that the areas they choose are safe for trainers and avoid unsafe environments
- Integrity. Communities should avoid cheating in all forms. That includes discussing cheating or using bots, websites, or other tools that encourage cheating. Community Ambassadors should always do their best to ensure that their communities remain cheat-free.
What does a community receive for being part of the Community Ambassador Program?
Community Ambassadors who register and run events through our program will receive special incentives like item codes and swag to share with their communities for Community Days and other events.
Community Ambassadors will also be able to provide feedback directly to Niantic. They will have access to one-on-one opportunities to learn more about us—and for us to learn about you!
As we continue to grow and develop the program, we may extend additional opportunities and benefits to help you foster a healthy and safe community for others to play in.
How do I become a Community Ambassador?
Niantic uses the Silph Road’s level and ranking system to track in-person community activity. Community leaders who have reached Rank 4 on the Silph Road’s community pages are eligible to apply to become a Niantic Community Ambassador. Applicants are then vetted for adherence to our guidelines. You can read more about the Silph Road’s community pages and how to rank up here.
You can learn more about the vetting process and how to apply —as well as our expectations for Community Ambassadors and the spaces they create—here.
Building Up Your Communities, Together
We’re excited and hopeful that this program will help you build your local communities. We want to help new Trainers and veterans alike find new groups to play with and explore the world of Pokémon GO together. We’ll continue to update this program as it grows, and we look forward to sharing more in the coming months.
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated.
-Kelsey, Pokémon GO Lead Community Manager
Source: Official Pokémon GO blog