Pokémon GO’s Fifth-Anniversary Event Features Shiny Darumaka and More
Celebrate five years of fun with Flying Pikachu and its 5-shaped balloon, First Partner Pokémon, and lots of great bonuses.
Trainers all over the world have been enjoying Pokémon GO for five years, and we’re celebrating that landmark with an event that features special Pokémon encounters, loads of First Partner Pokémon, and some cool bonuses. From Tuesday, July 6, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Thursday, July 15, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time, you can join the celebration!
Partyin’ with Pokémon
During the event, Flying Pikachu will appear in the wild with a unique 5-shaped balloon—this popular Pokémon is clearly ready to party! Darumaka will also be appearing, and if you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Darumaka. Flying Pikachu and Darumaka will also show up in one-star raids along with Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie.
Open a Mystery Box during this anniversary event for a chance to encounter a Shiny Meltan!
First Partner Fun
It’s hard to celebrate a Pokémon milestone without acknowledging the Pokémon that often accompany Trainers at the start of their journeys. This anniversary event will feature appearances by all the First Partner Pokémon that were originally discovered in regions currently represented in Pokémon GO. Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie will all be appearing as reward encounters for completing Field Research. Not only that, but First Partner Pokémon will also be attracted to active Lure Modules on occasion, and you might even encounter some in the wild.
You can also encounter First Partner Pokémon by completing certain Field Research tasks. Try to catch all of them to complete the event’s Collection Challenge! Doing so will earn you an encounter with Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon and a massive amount of Poké Balls.
The Sky’s the Limit
There’s so much excitement about Pokémon GO’s fifth anniversary that even the skies are lighting up! The fireworks celebration we saw during last year’s Pokémon GO Fest is returning, so keep an eye on the map for some festive fun. While you’re watching the skies, be sure to take note of the new real-time sky mechanic. This previously announced feature will be available for everyone just in time for the anniversary, along with additional Pokédex classifications.
Even More Bonuses
There’s even more excitement in store during this anniversary event! All Lure Modules will last a full hour, including the Glacial, Magnetic, Mossy, and Rainy Lure Modules. Item storage limits will also increase by 500 at the beginning of the event. If you need more storage before the celebration begins, be sure to grab an upgrade in the shop.
If you happened to miss the Jump-Start Special Research from last year’s anniversary celebration, then you’re in luck—it’s making its return! Completing this Special Research will earn you a ton of Stardust and XP rewards, plus some exciting Pokémon encounters. You can only claim this Special Research during this event, so don’t miss it!
There will also be special fifth-anniversary Gift Stickers available from PokéStops, Gifts, and the shop, so you can spread some anniversary cheer to your friends.
It’s been an incredible five years in Pokémon GO, so have lots of fun celebrating your adventure during this fifth-anniversary event!
Happy fifth anniversary, Pokémon GO!
What an incredible five years they’ve been. Remember back in 2016 when Pokémon GO was just about exploring the world and catching Pokémon? While this is still the core of the game today, the world of Pokémon GO is now so much more than that! Here are some of our favorite features from each year.
- 2016: Buddy Pokémon
- 2017: Raid Battles, AR+
- 2018: Field Research and Special Research, Friends, Adventure Sync, Trainer Battles
- 2019: GO Snapshot, Team GO Rocket, Buddy Adventure
- 2020: The GO Battle League, Today View, Remote Raids, , Team GO Rocket balloons, the first-ever global Pokémon GO Fest experience, Mega Evolution, GO Beyond Level 40, Seasons, and more
- 2021: Collection Challenges, Referrals, Together We Raid, real-time sky mechanic, expanded Pokédex classifications
Date + Time
- Darumaka and Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon will be appearing more frequently in the wild! If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Darumaka!
- Darumaka, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie, and Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon will be appearing in one-star raids.
- Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie will be appearing around PokéStops with active Lure Modules and after you complete Field Research. You can also encounter some of these first-partner Pokémon in the wild, including Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott.
- You’ll receive daily bonus Field Research tasks that lead to encounters with Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie.
- Complete the Collection Challenge for this event for a reward encounter with Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon, as well as Rare Candy and a massive amount of Poké Balls!
- Remember the in-game fireworks from Pokémon GO Fest last year? They’re returning this year to the map in celebration of our five years!
- While you’re looking out for fireworks during the fifth-anniversary celebration, check out the new in-game sky, too! That’s right—the previously announced real-time sky mechanic and additional Pokédex classifications will be available to everyone in the coming days.You can also learn more about the Pokédex classifications in this help center article here.
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Meltan when you activate the Mystery Box during the fifth-anniversary celebration!
- The Jump-Start Special Research will be available during this time for any Trainers who missed out on it during last year’s anniversary celebration, so be sure to open the app during this period to claim it. This Special Research is designed to help you catch up with other Trainers, with a ton of Stardust and XP rewards, as well as some exciting Pokémon encounters.
- You can get fifth-anniversary Gift stickers when you spin PokéStops and open Gifts. You can also pick them up in the shop.
- You’ll be able to expand your Item Bag up to 3,500 from Monday, July 5, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)! If you need more space in your Item Bag, you can get Item Bag upgrades in the shop.
- The Special Box, Ultra Box, and Adventure Box will contain different items starting on Monday, July 5, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- All Lure Modules will last one hour for the duration of the event, including Glacial, Magnetic, Mossy, and Rainy Lure Modules
As you think back on your favorite Pokémon GO memories from the past five years, be sure to share them with us on social media with #PokemonGO5YearAnniversary! There’s much to look forward to for this fifth-anniversary celebration, as well as beyond for years to come. Let’s GO!
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team
Source: Official Pokémon GO blog